This stunning drive through the Byron Hinterland is reminiscent of the Tuscan countryside and is punctuated with rainforest, waterfalls, farms, historic villages, community halls, cafes, artist studios, B&B’s and roadside stalls.
From the Macadamia Castle travel north along the Pacific Highway (Hinterland Way) until you reach the Bangalow exit. Continue to the township of Bangalow and enjoy some retail therapy and sample some of the delicious local produce at one of the award winning cafes and restaurants. Return to the Pacific Highway and continue north until you reach Coolamon Scenic Drive, turn left and enjoy breathtaking views of Byron Bay and the hinterland at the Cape Byron Lookout. Continue north along Coolamon Scenic Drive and experience the magic of the Crystal Castle and Shambhala Gardens or follow the signs through the village of Federal to Minyon Falls and walk amongst ancient rainforest giants.
The Crystal Castle is another true Byron experience to check out. Re-join Coolamon Scenic Drive to Australia’s ‘biggest little town’, Mullumbimby. Take in the street vibe and experience one of the many buskers in town. Follow signage back to the Pacific Highway and cross the bridge to the seaside village of Brunswick Heads and enjoy fish and chips on the unspoilt beaches. With a full belly, return to the Pacific Highway, head north and enjoy the views of Wollumbin (Mount Warning) and the Caldera.
THINGS TO DO ALONG THE WAY
- Visit the historic village of Bangalow and enjoy some retail therapy, a bite to eat and a stroll along Byron Creek.
- Get your local produce, local arts and local gossip at one of the weekly farmers or artisan markets in Byron Bay, Bangalow, Mullumbimby or New Brighton.
- Take a ‘selfie’ with the view from Cape Byron lookout.
- Marvell at the ancient rainforest giants at Minyon Falls.
- Enrich your spirit at the magical Crystal Castle and experience the World Peace Stupa.
- Enjoy the first rays of sunshine to hit mainland Australia from the Cape Byron Lighthouse.