These falls topple over 100m to the valley floor from the rim of the ridge of Nightcap National Park. The route travels through the township of Nimbin which is known for the 1970’s Aquarius Festival and for its alternative lifestyles. East of Nimbim you’ll see Protesters Falls and the beautiful village of The Channon, home of the famous monthly markets. Signs point to the rural villages of Dunoon, Dorroughby, to Minyon Falls and on to the regional city of Lismore.
This stunning drive explores three sections of Nightcap National Park and the scenic villages of the Lismore region.
From Lismore, travel east along the Bangalow Road to Bexhill and turn left. Following the signs to the village of Rosebank you will drive through the picturesque farmland and lush foliage of the surrounding hills. At Rosebank, continue straight ahead and follow the signs to the stunning, Minyon Falls. At the Minyon Falls Picnic Area you can continue along the scenic Minyon Falls Road (12km unsealed all weather road) or return to Rosebank. From Rosebank you can choose to head towards Byron Bay, Bangalow or Mullumbimby and Brunswick Heads.
Take the turn to Dorroughby and head towards the village of The Channon, via Dunoon. From The Channon, continue to Nimbin via the scenic Turntable Creek Road. You can take the sealed road to Mt Nardi for views of Wollumbin (Mt Warning) and the Caldera.
THINGS TO DO ALONG THE WAY
- Pick up a copy of the Lismore Walkabout brochure from the Lismore Visitor Information Centre
- Relax and enjoy a picnic at Rocky Creek Dam
- Walk to Protesters Falls – site of Australia’s first forest blockade
- Check out the Channon Markets – every second Sunday of the month
- Close by is the historic township of Bangalow with its antique and collectables shopping and markets every fourth Sunday of the month.
- Great sushi & Japanese available for lunch at the Federal Doma Café in Federal village.
- Stay at a B&B, take an art class, learn tai chi or have a massage
- Nightcap National Park & Whian Whian State Conservation Area
Minyon Falls – 8km loop walk to the base of the falls, 4km return Boggy Creek Walk
Protesters Falls – 14.5km partially sealed road from The Channon. 1.4km return easy graded walk to the base of the falls. No swimming permitted as this creek is home to the endangered Fleay’s Barred Frog.
Mt Nardi – Numerous walks and stunning views of the volcanic crater
Rocky Creek Dam – 4 walking tracks ranging from 1.2km to 6km